A Moment of Kindness


I feel like I changed the course of my day.

This morning on my way out of the neighborhood I spotted a small turtle crossing the road. I slowed down to a halt. Gave it a thought, and then drove around it. I looked in the rearview mirror. A car was approaching at full speed and I watched in horror as it road over it, without crushing it.

At that moment I made a u-turn and returned to the turtle. Just in time to watch its head re-emerge from its shell. Just in time to watch four other cars ride over it, almost crush it. I whipped my car into position in front of it. I put my hazard lights on, jumped out, popped open the trunk, grabbed a towel and scooped it up onto the safety of the lawn.

Something in my act changed my morning. As I went about my day, I felt vibrations around me. Still cannot put it into words. But I am glad I did not shrug off my immediate instinct to help the turtle. I did not succumb to the reasoning that I normally do. I attended to my first desire.



I shared my experience via text with my oldest son.

"That is incredible. It's called synchronicity which really is just another word for miracle. You created a miracle for the turtle. You kept it alive. And you prevented someone from killing the turtle...who knows maybe someone with a love for turtles may have accidentally run over it."

What a large dispensation of understanding from Emmanuel. It added to my feeling of an 'unlocking' within.

Today, I preserved and maybe restored, healed a bit of my soul; with my ally, the turtle.

The ground beneath my feet, the collaborator.

My hands molded a moment of kindness.

Wiki Njema,

Mama Shujaa

Comments

  1. I love this post and your image of open hands. If we could all be so kind, the world would be a better place. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's more than that. You helped extend that necessary human bond that we are missing sometimes. On this occasion with an animal. Thanks.

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Swallow Me

See the World, No Visa Required

Kilimanjaro